Elizabeth “Libby” Mitchell
Libby has a lifetime of public service and leadership experience. In 2016, She was elected as Judge of Probate for Kennebec County, a position she now holds and which was previously held by her husband for more than 37 years. Libby has been appointed by Maine Law Court to serve as Probate Judge Representative on the Family Law Advisory Committee.
Prior to her service as Judge of Probate, the voters of Kennebec County elected Libby 13 times to represent them in the Maine Legislature. Her fellow lawmakers elected her to Legislative leadership positions six times – making her the first woman in the country to serve as both Speaker of the House and Senate President in a state legislature. She was also a former selectman and school board member in Vassalboro.
Libby is also skilled attorney focused on family law and a Registered Family Mediator.
The role of Judge of Probate requires compassion, leadership and an understanding of the law – all of which have been hallmarks of Libby’s extensive career in public service. Please help us re-elect Libby Mitchell. Thank you for your support!
• B.A. Furman University, 1962
• M.A. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, 1965
• J.D, University of Maine Law School, 2005
Career in Law and Lawmaking
• Elected to the Maine House of Representatives, 1974-84 and 1990-98
• House Majority Leader, 1983-84
• Speaker of the House, 1997-99
• Elected to the Maine Senate, 2004-10
• Senate Majority Leader, 2007-09
• President of the Senate, 2009-11
• Current Maine Court System Mediator
• Elected Kennebec County Judge of Probate, 2016
Notable Career Achievements
• First woman elected Majority Leader in the Maine House
• First woman in the U.S. to preside over both branches of a State Legislature
• Passionate advocate for public education
• Leadership on women’s and children’s issues
• Inductee, Maine Women’s Hall of Fame, University of Maine at Augusta
• Democratic nominee for U.S. Senate (1984) and Maine Governor (2010)
Other Public Service Positions
• Director, Maine State Housing Authority
• Chair, Federal Home Loan Bank of Boston
• Chair, Maine Community Foundation’s Policy Scholars Program
• Board member, Kennebec Valley Community College